Thursday, January 21, 2010

CENTRAL ARKANSAS RETIRES PIPPEN'S JERSEY


After 27 years, Central Arkansas retired the jersey of its biggest star, Scottie Pippen yesterday. The Bears hung the former Chicago Bulls star's No. 33 jersey from the rafters during a ceremony at halftime of their game against Nicholls State in Conway, Arkansas.

"No player can ever set a goal of having his number retired," Pippen said. "Those are things that are given to you through the organization or institution. To have this honor is a great feeling. I had a lot of great years here at UCA. There were a lot of times that I didn't feel like I was going to reach my goal, I felt like I wasn't going to get the recognition, but doors and opportunities kept opening up for me."

Before winning six NBA titles with the Bulls and playing on two Olympic Dream Teams, Pippen was a two-time NAIA All-American for the Bears. He famously started his collegiate basketball career as the Bears' team manager, eventually earning a scholarship and becoming an NBA lottery pick when the Seattle SuperSonics selected him with the fifth pick in the 1987 NBA draft, then traded him to the Bulls.

- Jason

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home